Saturday, October 22, 2011

Just the Beginning

A couple of weeks ago I filled out a pre-application with the agency I want to go with. The website said that I would get a response within three business days. Well, on day 14 I realized that I hadn’t heard back. So, I sent an email to ask about this. This was two days ago. A Thursday. And by the way, Thursday is my absolute favorite day of the week. Anyway, Thursday was a crazy day. I was in town most of the day running from here to there trying to fit in 8 hours worth of errands into 4.5. So, by the time I arrived at church and sent my kids into Pioneer Clubs and dropped into my chair at a book study on One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp, I was spent. And as I picked up my phone to silence it for the meeting, I noticed I had a few emails. And one was from our agency. So, I clicked on it without even thinking about it. I should have waited. I was excited. But, the email stated that the agency had some concerns. AHHHHH! Right before my book study!!!! I should have waited. Anyway, I finally read the email as my kids piled into my tiny SUV an hour and a half later. They were concerned on two fronts. One, was our income. She said that the USCIS has a minimum annual salary that families have to make if they want to adopt. For a family of 6, we were short $242. Wow. (By the way, I had to Google USCIS.) And number two was that I am on an anti-depressant for PMDD. I’m not depressed and don’t think I have ever been but I am MOODY monthly, if you know what I mean. I struggled with this for years and tried tons of home remedies, but nothing worked and I finally went to the doc and asked what my options where. And three years later, I haven’t regretted it for a second. But, now the thought of it keeping us from adoption is hard. My meds have keep me more level then I have felt in a decade or more. It’s good. I know the Lord knows that and He is in control of all things. That is what I have to hang on to. It just feels weird to be judge for something that you prayed hard about and think is the right thing to do. Oh well. It’s not the first time…or the last.
After driving home I sat down at the computer and emailed the agency our fix for the income thing. Our monthly income is only part of our salary package. Our house and utilities, phone and truck, among a lot of other things are included in our compensation package. So, now I had to wait…just overnight. The agency got back to me mid-Friday morning. The next email had good news. The good news is that USCIS takes our entire compensation package into account. Victory. The agency, also said that the meds shouldn’t be that big of a deal as long as my doc gives the thumbs up. So, it was one of those 12 hour periods that I just had to wait it out and see how God was going to work. I know 12 hours is nothing compared to the waiting I’m going to have to do during this process. This is just the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment