Monday, January 16, 2012

Easy Good

I'm almost speechless....almost. Our first home study visit was AMAZING. Amazing.
Heather, our social worker, couldn't have been more perfect. She is a christian, homeschooling, New Mexican mom. I'll start from the latter of that list and elaborate. She is a New Mexican. This means that she knows that while, not the only option for schooling, home schooling is a good option here. And she basically pinky swore us that she is going to talk about our children's education in a detailed but not specific way, if you know what I mean. She is going to talk about what grades they are in and what they are involved in, and state that they are receiving a great education. But she isn't going to name the school, which means that a huge sigh of relief is in order. (Remember from my previous post that Honduras doesn't consider home schooling a valid form of education.) We can all do it together....that big sigh of relief. Right now. One, two, SIGH!
Second, she is a home schooling mom herself. So she understands the above point, but more than just understanding homeschooling because of the lack of options in my school district (which isn't Santa Fe, FYI) she understands us and our routine on a deeper level. She gets that we can flex as needed. She gets that once home, our new children will be able to learn at their own pace and we can let it take some time. She gets us. Whew.
And most importantly, she is a christian. She understands being lost and then found, which is a major part of my story. She understands that we can't even begin to comprehend what we are doing, but that we have been asked by One that is going to make a way. She understands our discipline methods now and she has great, personal knowledge of how it should be different with adopted children.Oh, and did I mention that she said our home study, which is said to take up to 3 months to complete, will be ready by February 1. Two weeks. I just breathed in deep again.
It's hard to take all of this in. I have conflicted feelings because I knew that if Heather showed up today and said that we had to enroll our children in public school, I was going to have to say God was good. And even though that didn't happen, I really do believe I would have KNOWN still that God is good. But that didn't happen. The best, easiest thing happened. I know that God prepares hard ways and prepares easy ways, and both are good. He gave us the easy good way this time and I am so grateful. Some of you might not understand some of the intricacies of New Mexico. We live near Santa Fe which is probably only second to San Fransisco in liberal, non-family ways of life. But some how we are finding like-minded people to walk with through this journey. And while this is amazing, it is not too amazing. We are talking about the Creator God, the Raiser-of-the-Dead God, the Water-into-Wine God, the Part-the-Red-Sea God, the I-Give-You-My Holy-Spirit God, and the Save-Me-MELISSA-From-My-Sins God, .
Make sure, friends, to remind me of this when the hard good comes.

8 comments:

  1. I am rejoicing with you! I always stand amazed when God blesses with the good and easy way. I think I lived the good and hard way for so long, that I forget He does both. How awesome that it will get done so quickly too. I couldn't be happier for you! Love reading along on the Grassmick story....miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just read your post and i can't stop thinking about the verse God spoke to my heart the day they released nate from physical therapy - " I love the Lord for He heard my vioce, He heard my cry for Mercy." Ps 116:1 - Thank you Lord for the Mercy you poured out on the Grassmick family with thier AMAZING first home interveiw!!!! Praying for Your Mercy to continue to cover this sweet family. -Becca Welch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that verse and part of your story and your prayer. Really encouraging and sweet!

      Delete
  3. Melissa,

    Excellent post. Loved it. And though I'm a liberal, I'm one of those pro-family liberals. I really liked the long, hyphenated, theological thing. Loved it. I'm with you and Jonathan, Melissa. I pinky swear I am.

    Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Uncle Michael!!!! I didn't choose my words very wisely, did I? :) I really wasn't trying to be divisive politically.
      I just wrote out a big explanation but then read through that and it sounded a bit divisive too, and that is not my intent.
      I should have just said "anti-family" or "anti-large-family."
      Thanks for keeping me in check.
      And I know you are behind us. You are so supportive and kind and caring. Thanks for being you!!!!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story and very engaging style. It is always good to see how God is working in others' lives. May God continue to bless your journey!

    ReplyDelete