Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Soon To Be No-Longer Orphans

It still feels unreal when God chooses to use me. When He speaks to me and asks me to act. Really, the God of the Universe wants my help? Sometimes I say yes and sometimes I act like I didn't hear Him.
But what has floored me in this adoption experience is watching God ask others to act on my behalf. And then watching them respond. And they don't even get to enjoy the visible, right-now benefits. Wow.

Today I received a package in the mail. It was from a long time friend who has had something up her sleeve. I had no idea what I was going to find as I cut through the 14 layers of tape on this box. My first glimpse was a black leather suuu-weet coat. Hmm. And under the jacket were neatly rolled Ann Taylor Loft, Old Navy, and Gap clothes. Jackpot. Then on the very bottom was a little note explaining things. And there was a check.

See this package came from a family that is living the American Dream. They own their own business and they have exactly 2.6 children. They own their home in a small country town and have a dog that lives in the backyard. They work hard for what they earn and the economy woes have hit them hard. But God asked them to scoured their home for things they could live without and sell them for their friends who are adopting kids internationally. She could have acted like she didn't hear the call. Or, she could have just played the hand to benefit her family. No one would have thought anything was out of the ordinary if she said she was going to have a garage sale to make more room for the next baby. And earn a little spending money for her kid's Easter outfits. And whose to say that would be wrong? But she didn't do that. Her and her husband have prepared for weeks, canceled once due to weather, and spent a long day selling their stuff...for us. And then, she picked some of her favorite clothes that didn't sell, and sent them to me as a blessing. And wrote us a check for the amount they made at the garage sale. Gosh, that is humbling.

A month ago I went to check the mail and saw a tiny little card from another college friend. I was assuming it was going to be an adorable picture of her sweet little girl (my pretend niece!). It wasn't. It was their contribution to our adoption. They are a one income family too. They spend and save their money wisely. And God asked them to give generously with a cheerful heart. And they did.

On several occasions I have gone to the Just Love Coffee website to make sure everything is working. While there I see another family's name who has ordered coffee that is fabulous, but pricey, to support our family.

Family members have overwhelmed us with their generosity. Not just money, but prayers and encouragement, and offers to keep our NM four when we are in Honduras. Duh, they say. Of coarse we will. I have a brother in law who is going to ship stuff from overseas so we can auction off amazing beautiful things to earn money to bring our children home. A handful of people have offered to go with us. It is surreal to know that God is at work in and around you. Why me? Why us? Why now? One thing I know for sure...it's not because of what I have done, but because of what He is doing.

I have been floored by so many people who want to help and have helped. And I know today's blessing from friends (and from God) won't be the last. Next Monday a group of my New Mexico friends are hosting a planning slash prayer meeting for some upcoming fund raisers. They are crazy women who love God first. It could appear they're doing it to get on my good side, but I know that isn't the case. They are doing it because God has nudged them. And even though it looks like the Grassmicks are the primary beneficiaries of all of these things, it just isn't true. Jesus says in Matthew that "whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me." How then, is God not going to richly bless each of these families for taking care of our soon to be no-longer orphans? Or bless them in ways we can't count or even put our finger on?

Saint Paul prays it best so I'll leave it to him:
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I love your heart. What a wonderful post!! Praying for you daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear how God is providing through so many so you can bring your children home. You're in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love LOVE hearing about this! (s orry I haven't checked in in a while!) Can't believe your dossier is THERE!!!! wow!!!! If you haven't already, get and read the book "The Connected Child" by Karyn Purvis (Christian phsychologist, deals with adoption attachment issues). Wish we had read it 2 years ago to help prepare us for some issues. So excited to see what God has in store for your awesome fam!

    ReplyDelete