Monday, October 22, 2012

Does A Mama's Heart Good

God gave us a gift on Sunday. As church was about to start I met eyes with a friend that was across the room and could tell she wanted to talk to me. So, I made my way over to her and as I was walking, I realized something was up. In most cities it would sound really wrong for me to notice that she was walking with black people. But for those of you who have been to Santa Fe or that live here know how rare it is to see black people around. And let me also give you a little background. We thought and prayed long and hard about adopting little black babies and raising them here. Most adoptive advocates recommend having some same colored people in your children's lives. When we were going down the path to Honduras, we had that taken care of. There are plenty of brown-skinned people here. But when God showed us our kids in Uganda, it was part of our seeking the Lord. Two black people go to our church and I was told recently that one is about to move back to California. But He reassured us to move forward.
So, back to Sunday. It was evident that my friend was about to introduce me to the people walking toward me. And not only were they black, but they moved here from Uganda, and they speak Luganda which is the language our kids have grown up with, oh, and they have a little boy named Brian and he is one month younger then Hezekiah. Wow. And they said that they love our church and will still be going here when we get back. Mercy, the mom, is a phlebotomist and she works at the hospital in Santa Fe. Sam, the dad, is a marathon runner and is training here. Last weekend he qualified for the next Olympics in Rio. Their friend, Gladys, is from Kenya. And again, their baby boy, Brian, is 14 months old.  So our churches black population just quintupled. (Is that a word?) Great is His faithfulness.
God also gave us a gift today. There is a family at the orphanage that our kids are at right now picking up their child. She sent us a slew of pictures today. Pictures of Elsie and Ki. Pictures of the orphanage. Pictures of the people that have been living with them. Seeing them made me smile out loud several times today. They look so much healthier then they did in our first round of pictures. It does a mama's heart good.

60 hours and counting until we leave.
Can. Not Wait.
PS. Pray that we get everything done without going crazy.
Next post will be about how our biologicals are doing with all of this.

1 comment: